The mission of the study abroad unit of the Center for International Education is to enhance the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire student experience by developing and administering high-quality international academic programs that are integrated into the campus curriculum. We provide students with opportunities to cultivate intercultural competency by engaging with people, cultures, languages, and systems abroad, in order to foster global citizens who have personal and professional skills for lifelong learning in a diverse world.
Students study abroad for a variety of reasons:
- Learn about a new culture or further explore their own heritage
- Gain skills that employers value such as adaptability, flexibility, independence, cross-cultural communication, etc.
- Gain further language comprehension
- Complete requirements for their major/minor
- Learn in an international classroom setting and gain further understanding of what it means to be a global citizen
Following through with study abroad automatically places students into an elite group of college graduates. Recent reports show that about 11% of U.S. undergraduates can claim a study abroad experience as part of their academic career. By comparison, about 22% of UW-Eau Claire students study abroad. The Center for International Education (CIE) provides support for students studying on UW-Eau Claire programs through the entire process.
Three anonymous donors are combining forces to match all gifts to the Global Awareness International Study Abroad Scholarship dollar-for-dollar up to $3,000. This award is given to participants in the study abroad program and is awarded based on merit, a written application, and financial need.